Some may call these little gems rum balls, but at Butter they are better known as Yum Balls! They are the perfect addition to a holiday baking platter, or a nice little shot to your system before you head out to tackle the holiday shopping. I use Nabisco Nilla Wafers for this recipe.
1 cup dark chocolate chips
2 ⁄3 cup sour cream, full fat
1⁄3 cup almond paste
3 cups vanilla wafer cookies, ground
(approximately one box)
2 cups chocolate crumbs
2 cups icing sugar
1⁄3 cup dark cocoa
2 ⁄3 cup white rum
1⁄2 cup butter, melted
2 cups chocolate sprinkles
MAKES: 4 dozen balls
YOU WILL NEED: food processor or blender, small ice cream scoop,
1 (11- x 17-inch) rimmed cookie sheet lined with parchment paper
STORAGE: You can transfer the finished balls to an airtight container lined with parchment paper and store in the refrigerator for up to 1 month or in the freezer for up to 3 months.
1. In a double boiler over medium heat, or a small heatproof bowl placed over a pot of simmering water, melt the chocolate chips. Remove from the heat.
2. In a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, combine the melted chocolate with the sour cream and almond paste and mix on medium speed until well combined.
3. Empty the box of vanilla wafers into the food processor or blender and blend on high until the wafers are finely ground.
4. In a large bowl, combine the ground wafers, chocolate crumbs, icing sugar, cocoa, rum and melted butter. Stir with a large spoon or spatula until well combined and then add to the ingredients in the mixer.
5. Turn the mixer speed to medium and mix until everything has pulled together nicely to form a dark and delicious paste, scraping down the sides of the bowl at least once during the mixing process.
6. Refrigerate the dough in the mixer bowl for at least 1 hour or even overnight.
7. Using a small ice cream scoop, drop the balls onto the prepared cookie sheet. Place the chocolate sprinkles in a bowl large enough that you can get both your hands into it, to avoid sprinkles flying all around the kitchen. Roll each ball between your palms until smooth and then drop it into the chocolate sprinkles. Scoop up some sprinkles in each hand and press them around a ball and roll it again to fully coat.